Thursday, October 30, 2008

My Maker as my mother


"As one whom his mother comforts, so will I comfort you" Isaiah 66:13

This is one the most loved scriptures of all times.It is my favorite too.

You know why?

Because I started identifying a meaningful relationship with God only when I began seeing Him as my mother.

I gave myself to Jesus Christ when I was 13, at that time my only confidant was my mom. I've told her many times, "I have only one parent and that is daddy, you are my friend." I don't know if she remembers but I've even done crazy things like even giving her friendship bands. I can actually count the number of times I actually call her "amma" or "mummy" because the other times, it is just a "hey!", "You girl!!", and other wierdo names, which if I mention will really ruin my reputation :-)

I realized how emotionally dependent I was on her only when I went to be on my own for pursuing higher education.

I missed her when I sat to study, I missed the 'ishing' sound that her slippers made when she walks around. I missed her hyper tension when she begins to lose a spat with my dad.I missed the mummy smell that came only on her. I missed the way that she would listen to my silliest joke and have a hearty laugh.

I missed the way she would be curious to know a gossip that I just finished on phone with a friend.I missed the way she'd patiently listen to my new 'findings' and 'bible studies'.I missed the way she would be bothered about the tiniest pain that came on my toe.I missed the way she'll spend all the Christmas money on our clothes and accessories and get herself something real cheap.

I missed everything about her.

But now when I look back, I think that the greatest force that got me and my Master real close was this 'missing her' syndrome that took over me during those times.Since I could think of no one who could fill that place when she was not around, I started seeking and longing more for God. I'd run to Him everyday after school to tell him every single thing that happened.

When I'd have the runs of insomnia I'd place my head on the floor and believe that I'm placed my head on His lap and see with the eyes of faith His mighty hands stroking my head within moments I'd sleep like a baby. Because mom was not around, I learnt to fight with Him, (hehe!!) call Him names and every other crazy thing that I did with my mother, now was with my God.

And you know what,I discovered that my God is a great mother.He taught me things that people often say only "mothers" can teach, the girlish stuff I mean. I had been a real wimp for a long time, He taught me that my tears were precious and I should not be wasting it for every exaggerated teenage melodrama.He made me a strong person at heart and in the mind."... I will strengthen you, I will help you,I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

I am 21 years now, my relationship with my mom has not changed.Only one difference, I am now completely dependent only on my God - "mother". And my mom has been an instrument for implementing this change in my life.

She thinks that she is a no-good ordinary person. But my Master left all the intelligent and brilliant ones and picked her up to rear and upbring a whole generation that will now honor and glorify only Him."...God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong" 1 Corinthians 1:27

Above any other achievement, this is the greatest privilege for any woman.

No comments: