Sunday, November 2, 2008

Unanswered..Unasked!!

With just a few days more for my examinations, I feel suffocated. Maybe, I'm not all worked up but the weight is on my head and it is kinda haunting. There is this one particularly hard subject called Digital Signal Processing, which is giving me the goosebumps.

In seasons like this I just wish if there was some kind of pen drive that I could use to stuff the gargantuan formulas in my head, unfortunately or fortunately God did not make provisions for any external drives in our bodies.

The only best break I can give myself is to loiter around this special space that I've made for myself on the web.

And I have something very special to share about my Master too..

How many times have we really prayed for something and never got the answer that we expected? Or let me put it this way, How many times have we felt disappointed by God?

Well, I am not yet spiritual enough to say that I've always considered it pure joy whenever I felt that every prayer of mine reached the ceiling and then bounced back on my own head."Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,[James 1:1]"

I've felt disappointed, neglected and sometimes even cheated.......by God."How long, O LORD ? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?[Psalm 13:1]"

What an audacity must I have to say this about the Creator King ??

But that's the truth.. When God introduced Himself to me for the first time, I didn't really see Him as God, in His holiness and splendour. I just saw Him as a friend, a loving saviour who would make me a perfect candidate to heaven and give me the best life on earth.

Slowly, in each step of my journey with Him did I realize His greatness, His holiness, His majesty, and His power."...—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever [1 Timothy 6:15-16]"

Then I saw how unworthy I was to even call upon His name, only then I understood His grace and I still cannot comprehend his Love.I also saw that the journey was not going to be as ritzy as I imagined.

"See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. [1 John 3:1]"

Despite these realizations, when prayers seem unanswered for a long time; my inner person becomes like a deflated balloon.

"My soul is in anguish.
How long, O LORD, how long?

I am worn out from groaning;
all night long I flood my bed with weeping
and drench my couch with tears.[Psalm 6:3,6]"

Many prayers of mine have not yet been answered. And I am not keeping count either.But we cannot talk a 'one size fits all' strategy for dealing with unanswered prayers.

I think that if we can understand the category our unanswered prayer falls in, it would be easier to deal with it. These are just some of the categories that I have identified in my really small number of years as a Christian

1) When I clearly do not pray God's will, nothing will happen.

2)When I hold something against someone or are unforgiving then too will God not consider my requests.

3)When God wants to deepen my characters, He delays the answers.

4)When He wants to give me a double recompense he will allow me to go through pain and distress.

5)Sometimes, He just wants me to rely on His grace, and not on the answer to the prayer.

I started off, wanting to write about my unanswered prayers and what I need to do about it but I guess I'm going to wind up talking about unasked prayers.

I've heard numerous testimonies of how God has heard prayers and given miraculous answers.But somehow, I've never been bright enough to ask for the thing that is good enough for me. So God doesn't give me what I ask (fortunately!!!) but gives me what He thinks is best."As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.[Isaiah 55:9]"

Not to forget the numerous accidents that I've escaped, the deadly diseases that don't come near me, the lovely family that's still bonded to together, the scrumptious food that I eat everyday, the friends who love me in spite of my craziness, the resources that I have access to, the talents that I have.... I never really prayed to receive any of these things. But my Master has carefully designed each of the minutest details, even though I never asked."...With thankful hearts offer up your prayers and requests to God.[Philipians 4:6]"

I'll end this note with the verse that I consider is the mantra of my life (atleast at the moment!!!)

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us [Ephesians 3:20]"

The Contemporary English Version Bible puts it like this,"... His power at work in us can do far more than we dare ask or imagine"

You bet!! we wont even dare ask for the things that He has in mind for us. That is the heart of my Master.Only the best for His children-no compromises on that!!

I complained about the things I asked and never got, what about the thousands of miracles that happen everyday in my life., without me never asking for it?

Have I forgotten about that?

No comments: