Friday, January 1, 2010

Are you in power ?

Do not withhold good from those who deserve it
when it’s in your power to help them. – Proverbs 3:27

I read this portion and thought to myself, “Okay! I’ll feed the hungry and dress the poor once my cash gets fat” and then I said to myself, “Better than that! if I become a CEO, I’ll start this really big charity and be merciful to all, ‘coz that’s what this verse is all about….when I’m in power I’ll do good”

After a while, the goody good righteous thoughts took back seat and my imagination took me for a ride on a flashy white merc which would definitely be my first indulgence if I ever get some heavy cash.

I smiled to myself and eventually, captain imagination descended to planet earth and I realized that I was sitting inside a crowded public transport bus traveling back home after work.

A middle aged lady entered the bus, she looked like she had a bad day at work. She climbed in and leaned on the supporting pole beside me and asked if I could hold her bag. I took her bag and looked up to have a closer look , her haggard and fatigued face was trying to tell that she would collapse any moment . I could almost hear the cells in her body scream in pain.

I did something silly after that, I looked at her abdomen, to see if she was pregnant. Ok! I was safe, she was not a senior citizen, and not an expectant mother; so even if I don’t give her a place , no one would call me heartless.

Suddenly I remembered the verse that I just read,

” Do not withhold good from those who deserve it
when it’s in your power to help them. – Proverbs 3:27 “

My Master was just about to teach me a great lesson.

Power is not what I imagined to be, not that high throne with a crown on my head.

In this case, the power was my physical strength, and the seat that I was happily seated was the good that I could do. And the drained out woman was certainly someone who deserved my comfortable seat that was in my power to give.

Many times we attribute power to possessions and position. These are the things that we tend to acquire because of power.This is not power by itself. Power is the innate potential God has placed within each of us, which He enables us to use, groom and build upon. Hold on to your power, not the things that come as a result of power.

Jesus held on to His power and authority as the Son of God but used it for the salvation of mankind. The only difference was that; in this case, we never deserved it. Yet He did good.

The power in you is unique, special and is very important for those around you.Use your power to empower , encourage and withhold not good from those who deserve it. Sometimes, those who really deserve good may not be the exact kind you have in mind. Take a moment to look intently and identify opportunities to be a blessing.

As for the lady, I gave her my seat. She was extremely happy to sit and dozed off to sleep instantly.Man!! she was really tired.

And I stood there leaning on the pole, smiling to myself thinking about my fancy white merc. :-)

No comments: