Tuesday, June 17, 2008

There's no recession HERE......

I hate shopping!!! but few days back when I was walking past a busy street known for its extravagant shopping malls , I decided to do some window shopping, I looked at a Ralph Lauren Stretch Wool Executive Suit....I froze. It looked too good to be true..and imagining me in it....How I wished I could travel into my imagination and indulge in it for a while!!. I tiptoed into the showroom with my rather simple unbranded jean and khadi kurtha and asked the pretty looking lady in the best accent I could make up "How much does that cost?",bang came the reply, "Rs.21,334 ma'm" I hid my shock, disappointment and dismay with a broad smile and a very polite 'thank you' and left the building.

I've always doted on Mercedes cars. While I was walking back, I was envisioning myself, a Ralph Lauren suit, a Gucci handbag,a Carlton London footwear, a Rolex watch, in a white Merc, without erasing my elite figure from memory, I went home and googled the brands to check out the total price on the tag... it was a staggering Rs.40,96,908. Thank God we can dream for free..!!!

I've exaggerated a bit, but most of the young earning population today are very brand conscious.We want to adorn ourselves, with the best in the market and posess the most elite gadjets. But sometimes, we're so carried away that we don't mind being in debt, just to satisfy our craving for luxury.

Inflation....wherein the value of money has decreases. If you were able to buy 10 things yesterday with 100 Rupees, an inflation allows you to buy only 2 things with 100 Rupees. Today India is facing a seven year high of 8.75% inflation.

Economists would describe many causes like; The increased oil prices and the sub-prime crisis in the USA which caused the dollar recession.The root cause for all this in simple terms is, excessive demand and wasteful spending.

The utility of a bag is to carry some stuff, it should be reasonably strong, and look decent, I could buy a good one for Rs.150, but a branded bag would range from Rs.2000 to Rs.32,000. Now, This is wasteful spending!!. The summation of unhealthy spending habits in the world today, results in a slowing down of the economy, during when unemployment increases, giving opprtunities for anti-social activities,heinous crimes, hunger and death.

God said it right, "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil..."(1 Timothy 6:10).

The governement could change the fiscal policies, monetary policies, cut taxes, and do all the stuff possible, to stop the financial condition from worsening. It would stabilise, but it would'nt remain, its bound to happen again and again. Because, whatever change is being brought up, are only cosmetic changes, they will soon wear out. Any really effective solution can only be brought up by an attitude change, which is birthed out of a change in heart. A change in millions of hearts.
Millions of hearts that are touched by Jesus Christ.

"Don't fall in love with money. Be satisfied with what you have. The Lord has promised that he will not leave us or desert us." (Hebrews 13:5-CEV)

I believe that that the way I spend my money, speaks about my relationship with God. God holds us accountable about how we spend our money. How we spend our money, depends on how much we want. How much we want is dictated by the desires of our flesh. "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God"(Romans 8:14).That means, we should not be lead by the cravings of our flesh.

If we boast about being children of God, then we should comply to the higher standards set by God, and not by this world. ...."Who gave Himself up for our sins to save and sanctify us, in order to rescue and deliver us from this present wicked age and world order, in accordance with the will and purpose and plan of our God and Father" (Galatians 1:4).

No matter what's 'in trend' today, if its not required, I don't have to buy it.When I say God has a plan for my life, it also means that He has a specific purpose for my finances, I need to focus on God to find out what He wants me to do with my finances and not devote my finances to indulge my desires. This is sin. God hates it.

This world is doomed to be destroyed, and so is your flesh, if I want to make an investment that will draw huge returns, I need to invest it in the Kingdom Of God.

Mathew 6:19-20
Don't store up treasures on earth! Moths and rust can destroy them, and thieves can break in and steal them. Instead, store up your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy them, and thieves cannot break in and steal them.

Luke 6:38
Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom.

No comments: