Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Another king?

"Now appoint us a king to rule over us like all other nations" This is what the people of Israel asked Samuel when he became really old. Samuel is displeased with this request and so is God.

God takes it very personally and He says "they have rejected Me".

When I was reading this passage, I said "God!!! you are over-reacting, all that the people of Israel wanted was a king like every other nation".

And as I was meditating on this, God showed me some stuff that He did not allow me to have in the past, things which I was very passionate about but I was bluntly refused. God asked me "Did you ask for the wrong things?" I said "No". He continued by saying "Had I allowed those things in your life, would you be the same today?". I replied sarcastically, "Definitely not, I would have been a lot more happier". And God said "Exactly!!! you would have been a lot more happier and then rejected me". I tried to argue with God "No that's not true !!!". But I had my own doubts.

Every Christian who knows God personally will agree that getting close to God is a process, it is long, sometimes exciting, sometimes painful, sometimes fun, sometimes dry and sometimes it feels like your in love.

I believe that rejecting God is also a process. The first thing that draws us away from God can be anything that gives us security other than Him. For some it could be money, for some relationships, for some education and for some a career; sometimes even good health can give security.This kind of security that replaces God will slowly rule over us.For the people of Israel a 'king' would give them security.

I stood there reminiscing my past. I was a lot stronger,braver and confident before. I was secure. But the source of my security;was definitely not God. Today I feel week, impoverished, inadequate; by myself, so I have to rely 100% on God; there's no way I can afford to reject Him now.

I said "God!! this makes you look like a bad guy!!". And God said "You've forgotten who I AM child.... relying on me 100% is your greatest privilege.....only this way you get to do things and achieve heights you could never have done by yourself;to get you to do this I have to look like a bad guy..all for love!!!!!!!!!"

Friends, we are talking about a God here, who does not want to stop with just being someone who is there to answer prayers. But He involves Himself deeply in our lives and concerns Himself with every activity that we perform. Don't be discouraged!! You don't need the securities that you are looking for. Let God rule over you.With Him you will see great heights and explore new horizons.If this is what you are looking for, then leave it to God because HIS ways are HIGHER.

This is what I call faith.

II Samuel 9:5
They said to him, "You are old, and your sons do not walk in your ways; now appoint a king to lead us, such as all the other nations have."

II Samuel 9:7
And the LORD told him: "Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king."

John 11:40
Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?"

Isaiah 56:5
I will give within my temple and its walls a memorial and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that will not be cut off.

Ephesians 3:20
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us

No comments: