Saturday, August 16, 2008

21st century Josephs!!

I have learnt a lot of lessons from the life of Joseph (the son of Jacob). The 17 year old guy, the father's pet, with lots of dreams and aspirations about his life was sold as a slave for 20 pieces of silver. He was at that time a naive, inexperienced, adolescent unaware of the dark wicked world.

He kept the commands of God when God didn't do anything good for him at all. First he was in the pit, then in the prison. He had a choice, he could compromise and become more comfortable or obey God and suffer. He chose the second option. Because he truly loved God.

I have seen many Josephs in my life. My grandfather, My mother, my best friend and many others. But right now I'd like to talk about someone in my church. I don't know much about her, I only heard her testimony in our youth meeting and I felt that her life is worth a mention.

A simple looking girl, not from a Christian family, but passionate about God and His ways. She got baptized without the knowledge of her parents, only to see them furious when they came to know about it. Coming late to church and leaving early (A condition so that her parents allow her), she would have caught the eyes of many 'spiritual' christians. Waking up early to finish extra household chores to convince her mom to allow her for youth retreats.

When the time for marriage came, she was firm that she'd not be yoked to an unbeliever making her the parents all the more angry."You've become bad-mouthed and arrogant" her mother said. Her pain was further aggravated when 'christian' proposals refused her because of her hindu 'background' (As if the power of Jesus can only work if your 'background' is Christian!!). Arguments, insults, discouragement and fear was all that she got in return for her perseverance to be a child of God.

Without the freedom to pray and without anyone to encourage her. She trusted God and prayed tears. "I'd open my mouth to cry aloud, but I could'nt because mom would be sleeping beside me, I'd groan in tears all night." she said. There came a point when she could take it no more, and she said "God, if you don't do anything now, I'll take it that you haven't forgiven me yet nor accepted me as your child."

God never allows anyone to be tested beyond what they can bear. There He goes!!! He gave her a Christian bridegroom and she's going to get married soon.

Its not just about her marriage. Its not just faith or 'confessions', its about OBEDIENCE and PASSION for God. That's something I've learnt from her life. When christians discouraged her she was in the 'pit-experience' and when her parents did not understand her she was in the 'prison- experience'. Wherever she was, she never compromised.

Jesus said "if you love me, you will keep my commandments". She truly loved God.

I'd like to share something that I read in a Derek Prince's Book "Living in God's Abundance".

"What is man that you make so much of him, that you give him so much attention, that you examine him every morning and test him every moment?" (Job 7:17,18). God does not test us because He is angry with us or wants to put us down.On the contrary testing is a mark of God's favour.He tests us because He wants to establish our value. A jeweller will subject gold or silver to certain tests.He does this because they are valuable.He does not bother to test common metals such as iron or tin. "But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold." (Job 23:10).

I believe that this young girl has also emerged as gold, and she will now go places and shine forth the light of God and win many lives for Christ.

She influenced me and got me to write this entry. She'd never know that her testimony was being communicated world wide through the internet.I believe that she'll continue to touch many more lives and win many souls for Christ than she ever imagined!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

brilliant writing and indeed a good story! Praise God.

God bless you more & more to be His blessing.

Anonymous said...

thought of sending you this.

Do you see??????

a ruddy young man
a crazy dreamer
though he was stripped
saw his colourful coat
even in that darkest dry pit
cause
the Lord was with him.

at home, the spoiled one,
a slave now, still had a hope
walking all through the desert
saw his colourful dreams
coming true soon
cause
the lord was with him.

the very same dreamer
weird place, clueless language,
no idea about the people,
still saw his dreams, rainbow
behind the Egyptian bars
cause
the Lord was with him

so big your problems
thick and dark clouds surrounded
billows rolling over your head
very prickly the path
i see your coat of many colours
i see your rainbow dreams
i see someone there
just right beside you
Do you see him???